Sunday, June 13, 2010

He's Not The Nurturing Type

Sexy Nerd and I have been together more than 6 years, during which we've learned each of us has our own wacky traits that irk the other (though I must insist that mine are nothing compared to his!) One of my pet peeves is that he's the kind of person who goes into the kitchen at lunch time, makes himself a sandwich, and eats it right in front of you, without the thought of asking if you would also like a sandwich ever crossing his mind. I've nicely (and maybe occasionally ever so slightly less than nicely) tried to train remind Sexy Nerd that this behavior borders on selfish cruel lazy being a huge,smelly jerk not very nice and he has slowly made improvements. At least, I thought he'd been improving.

This morning, Sexy Nerd announced he would be smoking a chicken for dinner. He brined it and put it inside the smoker. The house was filled with the tasty smell of hickory for several hours. When it would be done smoking was a complete mystery (and source of a "Sexy Nerd Quote Of The Day"). I made us a pitcher of iced tea and imagined us enjoying our chicken out on the patio, listening to the birds and soaking up the spring sunshine. Around 5:30pm, I was reading a magazine in my office and had just torn out an article on beer brewing to give to you know who, (as I am the nurturing type) when Sexy Nerd walked in. I told him that the chicken smells great and was wondering if it's almost done, to which he replied:

"Oh...it's been done."

In response to the puzzled look I must have had, he elaborated:

"It was good. If you want to go get some, I put the rest in the fridge."

Sexy Nerd cooking up a storm (with vodka?!) in an old rental house photo. It really doesn't matter what he was making, because no one else was going to get any.

21 comments :

  1. Haha the other day my boyfriend and I were having dinner and he goes and gets himself a drink and sits back down. Didn't even ask me if I needed/wanted anything. HOW RUDE! I need to train, I mean...REMIND him to not be so selfish too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're joking, right? Really? Wow! That's hilarious. I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL. Well, it sounds like he could work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! My hubby's KIND of like that but I don't think he'd ever cook a whole chicken and not offer me some.

    Men. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And your response....?

    LisaDay

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sigh...sadly they don't get better. Even after 17 years. I think it's some sort of primordial thing. But at least yours actually cooks! Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of how every week, we switch out the towels in our bathroom. Whenever my husband gets the new stack of towels out, he hangs his own towels on his racks and leaves mine sitting in a pile on the counter. Of course, whenever I get the towels out, I put all the towels on all the racks. I brought it up to him once and he was dumbfounded, like it had never occurred to him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA! Who doesn't tell their signif other that dinner's ready?? What an odd issue. Hope he starts thinking of you next time he makes something so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm quite afraid that I fall into the same category as your Sexy Nerd. I have been known to make things and not offer the husband any. OOPSY! But your version here cracked me up. So sorry he's so "rude." Hope the chicken was indeed good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. O wow. That is not nice. I think there is some more hardcore training to go on this front

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my heavens! I have tears running down my face from laughing so hard. I even just shared it with my Sexy Nerd (perhaps a reminder of how to be a good husband?) because I knew he would get a kick out of it as well. This post was EXACTLY what I needed tonight.

    Thanks for stopping by and visiting. You made my night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Well here's my 2 cents: men are NOT nurturing unless they are gay LOL They live in their stomachs and in their heads. That's it, that's all! But your post was really funny! I'm glad you are back. I had your button posted on my blog waiting for the Creuset pot. Then, I figured you were gone for good LOL. Take care.

    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  13. HA! i like sexy nerd's style. he cooks (and eats) like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have my own sexy nerd. My stories involve threats to set fire to his socks if he doesn't pick them up. I'm leaving a comment because your intro to "Post a Comment" made me laugh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will so be adding your button to my blog :) I'm a new follower, thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He did NOT really do that??? You need to work more on that training. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahaha yeah that sounds about right

    ReplyDelete
  18. My husband does similar stuff and it drives me nuts! Everytime we make popcorn, he keeps grabbing handfuls out of the bowl and shoveling them into his mouth so I only wind up getting a few kernels. And then at the end, he grabs the bowl, sets it on top of his belly while laying on the couch (sexy, right?) and picks out each and every last popped piece without asking if I'd like any more of it. Must be a man thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just like a man! Haha! But we love 'em anyway... most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! he sounds so like my engineer husband.. Brian doesn't even think to ask his own poor starving children if they want food when he ia making his lunch....

    (granted they are in high school now, but he was like that then they were 3 and 5, too. the thought just rarely occurs to him. But when it does, it is a very nice treat.)

    -- found you via SITS

    Kimberly
    http://kabersblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Yesterday, my blog made a whopping 2 cents. I'm blogging just for your comments! Thank you for making my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...