Thursday, March 18, 2010

Our Dog Katie

Years ago, Sexy Nerd and I had the brilliant idea to get a dog to keep me company while he was away at school in Michigan. We chose a Jack Russell terrier, which was the worst possible choice considering that I lived in an apartment, was a full time student, and was working a full time job, including a 6:30am-midnight shift every Sunday. Katie had energy to burn, and with no yard to run through and no companions, she put her excess energy to mischievous uses.

 

Example 1 (just 1 of many!): My Birthday

Sexy Nerd was away in Michigan, so he sent me a bouquet of tulips. I set them in a vase on my dining table, then continued to study for a chemistry test I had that afternoon. It's baffling how bad I am at chemistry, especially when you consider the massive chunk of my UNM classes that involved it (including labs, I think I took 10 chemistry classes! I still know pretty much no chemistry whatsoever.) I said good bye to Katie, went to school, miserably failed my test that I'd studied all day for (on my birthday!) and returned home. Needless to say, I was feeling stressed out.

How did my sweet little dog welcome me home? Katie had jumped onto a dining chair and onto the table, where she'd knocked over the vase, spilling water on everything, including my textbooks and notebooks. She had grabbed as many tulips as she could and scattered their remains throughout my apartment. Then, she disappeared underneath the bed so that I couldn't even have the satisfaction of yelling at her!

Sexy Nerd took this photo one night when he'd gotten up to get a drink of water. She was just hanging out in the tub at 2am!
 
Example 2: Sexy Nerd's Pizza

Back from school, Sexy Nerd was ready to leave for work one day when he realized that he had forgotten his pager in the other room. He set his briefcase down on the coffee table and left. Inside his briefcase was his lunch: a cold personal pan pizza, inside the personal pan pizza box, wrapped in a tied plastic bag. Surely, you know where I am headed with this.

When Sexy Nerd returned less than a minute later, Katie had gotten his pizza out of his briefcase, out of the bag, and out of its box. She ate it beneath our futon, where Sexy Nerd couldn't reach her, while growling at him.

Despite Katie being a tiny terror, she was still loved...though Sexy Nerd is stubborn about admitting it. Sadly, we left Katie with Sexy Nerd's grandmother when we went away for Christmas and she got out of the house. In typical Jack Russell fashion, she bolted down the street, and was never seen again. We're fairly certain she was eaten by coyotes.

Sexy Nerd may complain about all the trouble Katie caused, but really, how could anyone not love this dog?


She was so tiny that I made her sweaters out of socks!

 

  

Katie even had a scrunchy "feather boa".
  

Deep down, I know Sexy Nerd loved her.

24 comments :

  1. Awwww!!! This makes me sad! My dog has done some horrible things in her day but I just can't stay mad at her widdle baby face! You have to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. The dog even held the pizza hostage under the futon. How funny.

    I hope she is happy and stealing pizza where ever she is.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an insanely energetic mutt that disappeared when we left her with relatives. My wife was devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Katie! Keep all the good memories you can, including disasters, and cherish them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me want to cry just because I love my animals so very much! Our dog is a jack russel/beagle mix and she's got a lot of that jack russel energy! Hopefully she was found by somebody special and is living a happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, so cute!! I miss having little dogs, mine is a giant monster! So, so cute!
    Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog! It's nice to know someone other than my parents read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i absolutely love this! yes katie may need a massage and some calming oils. my viszla ate a hole in our waterbed when he was a puppy, we came home to water dripping on our 1st floor dining table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWWWW I have always dreamed about having a tiny little dog. What a cutie! I love that you made her sweaters out of socks.

    -Sitstah, CK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw what a cute doggie! How awesome! That is so sad that she got lost. :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry. I understand your pain as I have a precious baby girl chihuahua puppy. She is the perfect companion; snuggly, sweet, loving, forgiving, loyal, tiny and so darn cute! But she is also; thieving, chewing, digging and peeing and pooping everywhere except on the pee pads (some of the time). UGH! I tell her all of the time that she is lucky that she is so darn cute! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. aw, she was a cutie. But Jack Russell's are a tough breed to handle even if they are small dogs. I volunteer at an animal shelter and have been put through the paces by many a terrier myself.

    Visiting from SITS. Enjoy your day in the spotlight!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that's awful! I'm sure a lovely family took her in. She probably has a closet full of sock sweaters now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dogs can be just like little children a lot of the time. It's amazing how human they can be.

    Happy SITS Day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Katie's sock sweaters! How adorable. Small dogs have big personalities - sometimes neurotic and mischievous but they are such babies. I hope she found a good Samaritan who gave her good home!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's hilarious! Although I can't relate to something that small being an actual dog. My husband prefers his dogs LARGE and in charge. We are on our 2nd St. Bernard and I think the smallest we've ever had was a German Shepherd. Your little puppy there looks like a chew toy compared to our big bruisers. But someday, I would like a dog that actually FITS in my car - sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww, how sad! I have a small destructive dog too - mine is a Boston Terrier and she likes to chew on door frames and cabinet corners.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh she is a cutie! I'm sure she found a wonderful home after she ran off, and she's happily tearing up someone else's flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, you're right how could Sexy Nerd not love her! Over from Sits to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those ears are adorable. Sorry you lost her!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband loves terriers like this one. I have always had big dogs, shepherds and such so I guess I don't really get it. They are too hyper for me BUT they ARE really cute and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness. Katie is the cutest dog ever. I am glad you have her : ) I can tell she adds a great deal to your life : ) and a great deal of mess too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so late catching up with my SITS girls, but HAPPY SITS DAY!! My little Jack Russell is a terror too, but we love her. Hope Katy is causing trouble wherever she is!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Katie is a real cutie...I am digging the sock sweater. Glad you enjoyed the party.

    ReplyDelete

Yesterday, my blog made a whopping 2 cents. I'm blogging just for your comments! Thank you for making my day.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...